LEARN, GROW, THRIVE
As the nation’s leading nonprofit organization committed to strengthening communities through youth development, healthy living and social responsibility, the Y offers more than just a job: we offer you a career with a future and the chance to make a lasting difference in your community.
At the Y, you can discover your passion and a lifelong career helping to solve some of the nation’s most pressing social issues while also taking care of yourself: regularly scheduled employees enjoy complimentary facility usage and other program benefits. The YMCA is a great place to work, gain experience in your field of interest, meet new friends, and strengthen your community. Apply today to join our team and our cause.
Head Swim Team Coach
The State College Branch of the YMCA of Centre County is seeking an experienced Head Swim Team Coach for their team of 150+ swimmers!
This is a full-time position with a comprehensive benefits package. Successful applicants will have at least 5 years of coaching experience that demonstrates successful program development and management, character-driven leadership, excellent communication skills, and a personal commitment to the YMCA core values of caring, honesty, respect, and responsibility. The Head Coach will be responsible for developing and supervising practices for all levels of swimmers; hiring, training, scheduling, and mentoring assistant coaches; and working closely with the parent committee on tasks such as recruiting and managing meet volunteers. Previous experience with Meet Manager and Team Unify software preferred as is a current lifeguard certification; familiarity with the Y-USA swim lesson curriculum; and USA Swimming and YMCA Swim Coach certifications. Expected start date is Spring 2020.
- Minimum of 3 years of aquatic experience as a competitive swimmer or aquatic instructor
- 2 years of competitive coaching
- Working knowledge of competitive aquatics in YMCA, USA Swimming
- Ability to positively lead, communicate, instruct, inspire and motivate swimmers of all ages
- Current valid driver’s license and access to personal vehicle
- Plan, organize, and develop the swim team program. Plan, attend, and direct team practices as scheduled. Schedule practice times within the guidelines set by the Aquatics Director.
- Ensure the safety of participants at all times.
- Recruit, hire, develop, and train a group of 6 to 8 assistant coaches.
- Manage and supervise assistant coaches to meet program and safety objectives, and to build a positive team culture that promotes individual growth and team building.
- Maintain proper team records and file reports as needed.
- Attend all YMCA league meetings and team meets. Coordinate entry information to meet all deadlines. Attend/organize USA Swimming meet participation as needed.
- Relate to the individual swimmers on a personal basis at practice, at meets, and through goal setting, instruction and positive encouragement.
- Relate to parents’ concerns through individual contact by appointment, phone calls, or emails. Utilize parent board for support and advisory functions. Attend and actively participate in all parent board meetings.
- Initiate and maintain active communication concerning all aspects of the program with assistant coaches, swimmers, parents and necessary Y staff.
- Other duties as assigned by the Aquatics Director.
- *YMCA of USA Principles of Competitive Swimming & Diving
- *Current American Red Cross or YMCA of the USA Lifeguard Certification
- *CPR for the Professional Rescuer for Lifeguards
- *Administering Emergency Oxygen
- *First Aid
- Child Sexual Abuse Prevention training
- Mandated Reporter training
*Required for coaching deck pass for district and national swim meets
$34,000.00 – $38,000.00
How to Apply
Apply by Email
Apply by Mail to
Raymond Carroll, 677 West Whitehall Rd, State College PA, 16801-4538
Resumes Accepted Until
The State College branch is currently seeking courteous, professional, and punctual lifeguards for weekday and weekend shifts. Starting rate of pay is $9.00 per hour. Requirements include a current lifeguard certification, which can be obtained through a YMCA of Centre County Lifeguard certification class. Those who complete a training in-house for the purpose of serving as a YMCA of Centre County Lifeguard will receive a full reimbursement for the cost of the certification. Successful candidates will also be required to obtain PA Criminal, PA Child Abuse History, and FBI Clearances. For more information or to apply, contact Ray Carroll, Aquatics Director at [email protected]
EQUAL EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY
It is the policy of the YMCA to comply with all existing statutes, regarding Equal Employment Opportunity, as they relate to all employees and applicants for employment. The YMCA is committed to:
- Ensuring that recruiting, hiring and training for all job classifications are done without regard to race, color, religion, gender, age, national origin, marital status, veteran status, sexual orientation, mental or physical disability, or any other basis prohibited by state or federal law.
- Ensuring that promotion decisions further the principle of Equal Employment Opportunity.
- Analyzing personnel actions periodically to promote Equal Employment Opportunity.