At the Y, strengthening the community is our cause. We believe that lasting personal and social change can only come about when we all work together to invest in our kids, our health, and our neighbors. With our core values of youth development, healthy living, and social responsibility in mind, the YMCA proudly offers the OPEN DOORS Program to qualifying members.
The OPEN DOORS Program allows kids, adults, and families to obtain a membership at a reduced rate based on their household’s total income. You could qualify for anywhere from 10% to 80% off the regular membership rate and a maximum of 50% off of program fees, depending on your financial situation.
To apply, simply complete the PDF application form below and provide required documentation. This application considers your overall situation, including your dependents and monthly income, and it is kept completely confidential. We use the current year’s federal poverty guidelines on a sliding scale (printed on the application) to determine assistance. This is our way of ensuring that our services are accessible to everyone. Once you complete the application, you’ll be on your way to becoming a YMCA member at a price you can afford.
As an OPEN DOORS member of the YMCA, you receive the same benefits as other members. You can feel great knowing that you are involved in an organization that cares about the health and well-being of the community and is committed to youth development, healthy living, and social responsibility.
If your financial situation changes over time, the YMCA will ensure that your rate reflects that change. Every year on your membership anniversary date, your status will be re-evaluated. We will contact you ahead of time to give you time to gather the required documentation for the past year along with any other pertinent information.
All memberships subsidized through the OPEN DOORS Program are made possible by the YMCA’s Annual Giving Campaign. Many generous donors, and even those who benefit from the program, contribute annually so that we can keep our doors open for all.
Please submit your completed application along with copies (do not send originals – items will not be returned) of all applicable documentation. The YMCA reserves the right to hold processing of applications until all required information is submitted. Please provide copies of the following:
- Most recent Federal Income Tax 1040 or proof of non-filing status
- Two current consecutive pay check stubs or unemployment checks
- Two most recent Bank Statements
- Proof of any other assistance or income you receive (Food Stamps, SSI benefits, Child or Spousal Support, etc.)
- If you are a full time student, please provide an Academic Verification Letter from your school.
- If you are claimed as a dependent on someone else’s Federal Income Tax please provide copies of pages 1 & 2 of that form.
IMPORTANT THINGS TO REMEMBER
- Each member of the family may register for two (2) programs per session at the reduced rate. If additional programs are desired, the full member rate applies.
- Special programs, including personal training, nutrition counselling, tutoring and private swim lessons are not eligible for assistance.
- A minimum of $10/month applies for membership
- A maximum of 50% off of member-pricing program fees will be offered to those who qualify.
- Assistance for child care and summer camps are determined by the Child Care Director at each branch. To inquire for assistance with child care, please contact the appropriate director at your home branch.
- Financial assistance is reviewed annually and new applications and documentation are required.
- Incomplete applications will not be considered.
Please allow 10 business days for processing.
- Due to funding restraints, the YMCA may need to limit the number of consecutive assistance requests that a person may receive. Special programs, including personal training, nutrition counselling, tutoring and private swim lessons are not eligible for assistance.